SPACES OF (RE-)APPROCHEMENT : Old Movements and New in the Buffer Zone
Saturday, May 26, 2012, 18:30
'Irini' Cultural Center – Ledras/ Lokmaci Crossing, next to the Buffer Zone
The formation and activities of the ‘Occupy the Buffer Zone’ movement (OBZ), as well as the violent eviction from the squatted building, open a range of issues that require discussion and consideration. This public discussion aims to continue the dialogue as well as opening newtopics for consideration on the Buffer Zone bringing together old and new activists of the Buffer Zone.
- What is the framework that created this radicalized movement?
- Is OBZ relevant to other social movements unfolding at the moment, or have unfolded in the past?
- In what ways is OBZ connected to space in walled Nicosia?
- What allowed the articulation of common ideas between G/Cs and T/Cs activists in the context of OBZ?
- Is there a genealogy of the rapprochement movement, and, if so, how has it evolved?
- What are the conceptualizations and reconceptualizations of the Buffer Zone?
Niyazi Kizilyurek, Beran Djemal, Kostis Ahniotis, Gregoris Ioannou, Seta Astreou,
Pafsanias Karathanasis, Rahme Veziroglou and Marios Michaelides
The discussion will be held in English and is affiliated to the Theseus Street Festival Theseus Street Festival (25 - 26/05/12).
The festival is taking place along and at different locations of Theseus Street, within the walls of Nicosia.
A suggested €1 donation will help us cover venue expenses.
Organizers: Antonis Hadjikyriacou, Constantina Zanou, Despo Pasia